Baseplates & Foundations & Types of Baseplate Installation
Free Standing vs Grouted Baseplates
Free Standing Baseplates
Stilt or spring mounted designs
- Lower installation costs.
- Minimizes strain from thermal expansion.
- Facilitates cleaning / housekeeping.
- Must be rigid / reinforced design.
- Little or no vibration dampening.
* Vibration from external sources.
* Balance and alignment.
- Greater rigidity.
- Less susceptible to external loads.
- Larger mass capacity.
- Greater vibration dampening.
- Must be grouted properly to gain benefits.
Baseplates must be leveled in two planes; along the length and across the width.
- Minimize angular misalignment to pipe.
- Assures optimum oil lubrication.
- Accurate sight gage reading.
- Proper oiler operation.
- Adjustment screws on stilt mounted type.
- Leveling screws on grouted type.
- Wedges / Shims on grouted type.
- Leveling screws, wedges, or shims should be coated,
sleeved, or protected to prevent adherence to grout.
- Leveling devices should be positioned at each anchor bolt
and at on addition mid-point on unreinforced bases.
- Wedges and shims should be removed after grouting with
void areas patched with grout compatible material.
Foundation & Anchor Bolts
- Use 20/10 rule for anchor bolts:
* 20 bolt diameters in foundation.
* 10 bolt diameters in protection sleeve.
- The foundation mass should be 3 to 5 times that of the pump assembly.
- Foundation and baseplate must be properly prepared before grouting.
- Anchor bolts should be tightened after grout has fully cured.
- Grout with low shrink material.
* Minimum 3000 psi compressive strength.
* Epoxy grout preferred.
- corrosion resistance
- vibration dampening
- 2000 psi bond strength
- seals out oil & moisture
- Clean & prime bottom of base for best adhesion.
- Eliminate air traps and dams under the baseplate &
provide vent holes in strategic locations.
Final Checks & Preparations
- Check for grout voids / air pockets - repair as necessary.
- Fill all vent & grout hole.
- Seal cementitious-type grout.
- Clean pump and motor locating surfaces.
Innovative Process Solutions, When Performance Counts.